Music for designers

Question: do you listen to music while you design?

Are you the kind of person that cracks open a party pack of Bud and sticks on your favourite Extreme Noise Terror CD or are you more likely to be sipping red wine accompanied by some Debussy chamber music? OK, so it's not just music is it? Somehow, design, music and alcohol just seem to go together like Tomato, Mozzarella and Avocado. In fact, toss in a Tricolore Salad to the mix and you're in heaven... right?

Or does none of this mean anything to you? Are you sitting, quietly absorbed in your own thoughts, painstakingly redrawing that masterplan for the nth time, listening only to the scratch of your felt tipped pens echo off the walls?

So, here's my hypothesis; designers like listening to music while they work, especially when accompanied by their favourite tipple. It helps those creative juices to flow, it frees our minds and it makes us more daring.

I like to listen to music I know well when I'm doing creative stuff. New music requires concentration and that doesn't do. I need something that'll just wash over me as I work. So, which of the two stereotypes described above am I? Actually, I'm neither, or possibly both. What I actually listen to (and drink) will depend on the job in hand and my mood. However, there are certain things that I often find spinning in my player at such times. If you just want some blissful background wallpaper, I recommend "The tired sounds of Stars of the Lid". For something a little more stirring, just about anything by Mogwai. I'm still getting used to "Mr. Beast" at the moment so that hasn't made it to the "design time" pile just yet. You might also want to check out Talk Talk's excellent "Spirit of Eden". If I'm ever stuck and really need a jolt, I may put on "Soul Mining" by The The (only really suitable for those in their late 30's and early 40's - the kids just wouldn't understand). On the other hand, if you are internet radio savvy, why bother with dusty old CDs anyway. Just plug-in and fly to www.hbr1.com and checkout the Dream Factory stream where you can hear some of the best ambient sounds around (apparently, the kids might describe it as "downbeat, chillout, ambient trance") - ideal for designers of all ages. Look out especially for mixes by francofunghi.

I'm not shallow, I don't just like "popular" music. I'm very fond of early choral music and some of my best work has been done listening to Vaughan Williams and, yes Debussy too.

OK, enough about me. What do you listen to?

Comments

Raina said…
I have itunes playlists on my computer especially for when I am designing. When I get sick of that I go on to a brilliant website www.pandora.com
It is free, and after you register, you type in a favorite artist or song. It then categorizes the style of that music and makes you a random playlist. If you don't like one of the songs just click on next. I highly recommend it.
dickie said…
Has to be silent. Even the hum of the computer distracts me!
EmmaN said…
yes, can't be creative without music, for the moment it's Clap your hands say yeah and the boys least likely to, mellow happy music that can still make me smile even when the design process is very painful..
EmmaN said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Raina said…
Hello David,

Just thought I would ask if this years final year students are keeping blogs, and if so will they be linked to this site? Having finished the degree, I am intrigued to see how others work there way through the process. I am still blogging, so thanks for the introduction.

Raina

Popular posts from this blog

GDJ Pass notes

Pre-Christmas blog review