Relativism

OK, I admit it, I'm an avid Radio 4 listener - it's one of the very few media streams in contemporary culture that hasn't been "dumbed down". My favourite programme of the week is "In Our Time", on Thursday mornings at 9am, which I listen to in the car, on my way to Avery Hill. Ordinarily, the topic under discussion is not directly related to my work but this week's programme on "Relativism" started me thinking about teaching theory.

Essentially, Relativism is: "... a school of philosophical thought which holds to the idea that there are no absolute truths. Instead, truth is situated within different frameworks of understanding that are governed by our history, culture and critical perspective."

Relativism is considered "insidious" by many educationalists because it basically says that there are no transcendental truths, only relative ones. To bring this down to a practical level, what it means is that if you consider that your masterplan design is good, then it's good, irrespective of what anyone else (Jamie) thinks about it. Basically, relativism undermines the teaching process.

What worries me is that I increasingly see signs of relativistic attitudes in students. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own point of view but relativism tends to put us all in our own little boxes, blinkered and insulated to and from everything around us.

You can download the programme as a podcast from the In Our Time website. It's well worth a listen.

Keep your minds open.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music for designers

GDJ Pass notes